Saturday, January 10, 2009

I sent this email to my family at 3 a.m. last night:

Familia Mia,
First off I'd like to apologize in advanced for any errors in grammar, spelling, or coherency...it's after 3 a.m. But I miss you guys, can't sleep, and felt like writing. Okay, now that I've warned you...
In my last 3 years at UF I've witnessed some pretty outrageous things. Living in a city where almost everyone is in their l
ate teens and twenties is a recipe for both a massive amount of disaster and a massive amount of fun. Thursday night was one of the best night's I've ever had here. Two year's ago we ran out onto University Avenue the same way but last night the students at UF proved that winning never gets old. Don't worry, I'm not delirious enough to forget how cheesy I can be, I know I sound like a commercial.
But really, there was such an overwhelming feeling of unity, so much joy and excitement everywhere. Allow me to pull a Sophia Petrillo
(see here) Picture it: Gainesville, 12:30 a.m., you run down the road yelling and cheering and high-fiving and hugging and singing in a crowd of 20,000 of your closest friends, the police don't stop you for j-walking, tonight they pose for photos and gator chomp on command. It's one of the proudest and happiest moments you've ever felt, you don't deserve it, you didn't work for it, but everyone better believe you're going to enjoy the crap out of this victory. The entire country watches the biggest party you're ever going to be at...man, it feels awesome.
I watched the game at my apartment with about 15 other people for the 1st half and then 6 girls for the 2nd. We yelled like men, cheered for everything, hugged after every touchdown, and cried when we finally realized we were going to win. After the crying we walked from my apartment to the heart of the chaos (it's a little over a mile from here) and were joined by swarms of people along the way.
I attached some pictures from last night, all of us are cheering on pure adrenaline, except for Billy who was really drunk and later arrested...but that's a story for another email. My adrenaline quickly ran out when I
went to high five the passenger of an escalade and and found him rolling a blunt...that was kind of scary.
I think I'm ready for bed now...since it's 4 am.

I love you all,
Lili








That's how we communicate, I'm so grateful for it.

No comments: